Love is.....loving yourself
King James Version (KJV)
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
As I am going into a new decade of my life, I am very reflective about my experiences and take on love. Love is and will always be a tricky, delicate, but wonderful subject. Love also can be foolish, rough, weird, and painful. I was told from my youth that love is like a coin....one side is very beautiful, but on the flip side it can be ugly.
Within the last few years my definition of love has been tested and it blew up in my face. I thought I truly loved someone for years. After spending one week with him, I come to find out he didn't love me, and my love was just an illusion. On the flip side, the person I felt didn't love me, love me for real. Unfortunately, I didn't see that until his death.
WHAT A PREDICAMENT!!!!!
Now as I reflect on this day of "love" I realize love 1st much come within. People say they love themselves, but do you? The Bible admonishes us to "love our neighbor as thyself." Again, I ask the question, "Do you?"
Let me ask a few question to test your love for yourself:
1. Do you look in the mirror and compliment or criticize yourself?
2. Have you done your yearly physicals and checkups to make sure everything’s ok?
3. How is your prayer life? Do you “check-in” with the Lord throughout the day?
4. What types of food are you consuming?
5. What friendships or associations are toxic in your life but you entertain?
6. What are you listening to on a daily basis?
7. How are your family/church/work relationships?
8. Are you walking in what God called you to do?
9. Are you getting enough rest?
10. Is your life balanced?
After asking all of these things I am GUILTY!!! So how can I love my neighbor, when I need to love myself?
So this Valentine’s Day I will quote a hook of a song Luther Vandross remade: “If you can’t be with the one you, love the one you’re with.” That’s YOU!!!!!
Be Fabulous and Be Blessed